Sunday, November 10, 2013

Catherine LaFond and Me

A few nights ago I sat next to Catherine LaFond at dinner.  She introduced herself and we began to talk a little about ourselves.  I knew she was running for Water Commissioner, whatever that is, in the City of Charleston. She had just come in first in stage one of what seems to be South Carolina's attempt to draw elections out forever:  the run-off.  That means that there will be yet another election with the person who came in #2, so voters will have to get out yet again to show their determination to participate in the democratic process of voting.

But I digress.

Catherine is the kind of woman that you can't help but pay attention to.  She is energetic, and smart, and involved in whatever she is doing at the moment, which on Thursday night was talking to me.  I learned she is an attorney, working in real estate, and currently in elder law (I think that's what it's called).  She works with the elderly and with veterans, two underserved groups here in the Lowcountry.

I actually learned a little about what a Water Commissioner does, and why it is important to elect the most knowledgeable and committed candidate.

And then, as we talked, I realized that, not only did I know Catherine, but she had been one of my first contacts here in Charleston fifteen years ago.  She had been my real estate attorney.  At the time I remember that she had been amazing:  caring and professional, willing to answer any dumb question and walk me through all that legal stuff that had to be agreed to in order to buy a house.

Some four years ago, when all things financial were hitting the fan, and interests rates were low, I decided to refinance.  I couldn't remember Catherine's name, just knew that she was no longer in the building on Johns Island that she had been in back in '99.  So I went with another attorney.  What happened in not too many words was that the bank proceeded to give me the runaround for several months, claiming that my residential area was zoned agricultural, that my credit report didn't have my address on it, that I needed to list some person as being responsible for maintaining the dirt road I lived on.

My lawyer did his best, but when we got down to dirt roads, he didn't know what to do.  So I looked up my old records and found Catherine's name and called.  She quickly found my records and explained what I needed to do to satisfy this ridiculous demand.  Not only was she knowledgeable, she was reassuring at a time when I was pulling my hair out in frustration.

Sadly, I can't vote for Catherine on the 19th, because I am not a resident of the City of Charleston.  But I now know what a Water Commissioner does, and that Catherine should be that person.

Here in Charleston it is critical that the water we drink is good, and what we send back out is properly treated.  That is common sense.  We can't be cutting corners with drinking water and pollution.  So it just makes sense to have someone who is smart and dedicated, committed to environmentally sound practices.  That person is Catherine LaFond.

I know it seems silly to have to go out to vote again, but it's this one last effort that will count.  If you've made the effort to do it once, it is well worth the effort to do it again.  And find a friend, neighbor, family member, coworker who didn't get out last week and take them with you.  Send this around to as many people as you know that may live in the City of Charleston.

Visit Catherine's website.  If you know her, you know she's the best.  If you don't know her, her website will convince you.  And pledge to vote while you're there.

The election is Tuesday, November 19.  For a list of polling places go to the county website (they are the same locations as for the election on November 5th).  If you're not sure you're eligible to vote, go to SC Votes to find out.


Vote for
CATHERINE LAFOND
City of Charleston
Water Commissioner
Tuesday, November 19

No comments:

Post a Comment